With all the WDDC rumors flying around Worldwide Developers Conference 2008, it has become tough to keep track of them all. Here is a list of recent rumors, and details on their credibility.
1. 3G iPhone – Is the Pope Catholic? I think that it is safe to say that this is the only rumor that is definitely going to become a reality. Now the only question is what it will look like and what any changes to the OS will be. Personally, I would love the iPhone to look something like this. Two of the biggest proofs behind this rumor are a lack of iPhones (“Currently unavailable”) on the Apple website and the fact that AT&T are not allowing their employees to take vacations for a period of time this summer, supposedly around the 3G iPhone launch. Also pointing to 3G are supposedly leaked screenshots of the 3G iPhone, strange new terms on shipping manifests, dates supposedly being announced, strange looking icons buried deep within the iPhone SDK, and announcements coming straight from the horse’s mouth, or in this case, the mouth of the Telefónica Europe’s CEO.
2. .Mac take two – No one is positive, but I think that this one is fairly likely. Opal Tribble reports on the subject. Oh, and Steve? If you are reading this, just know that changing the name to Mobile Me will beat the great service that .Mac provides around the head, and then proceed with a sharp kick to the groin for good measure. In other words, I really really really don’t like the sound of that name.
3. Tablet Mac – about a 60-75% chance of truth. A tablet Mac would be nice, and it would really put an emphasis on portability. MacRumors reports the following:
As part of an Intel event for the 40th birthday of the semiconductor company at Munich’s BMW World, Germany managing director Hannes Schwaderer confirmed today what has long been a rumor on the Internet: namely, that there is an iPhone with Intel’s new Atom chip. The device is slightly larger than the current version, Schwaderer said. That is not, however, because of the Intel chip, but because of the larger display used in the new iPhone.
A Tablet Mac would be awesome, and Apple has been known to surprise, but I think that rumors surrounding a large iPhone type device should be taken with a grain of salt.
4. MacBook Redesign – the chances of this are only slightly better then those of George Bush being reelected. More possible, I think, would simply be upgrades to the innards of the current MacBook.
5. OS 10.6 demo – Least likely of the group. Apple has patented the possible names Lynx and Cougar, following the large cats theme, so something should be coming soon. Personally, I prefer Cougar. The only possible reasoning behind the demo is it would put the new OS in good position for a MacWorld ‘09 release.
I think that it is definitely safe to say that this year’s WWDC conference will not disappoint.